" "

What are your ways to dealing with urges

Discuss and debate the latest hot topics in gambling politics and media.

What are your ways to dealing with urges

Postby jamie93 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Everyone has different methods to handle urges to gamble. I am curious as what methods I could try along while hearing what you guys/girls do to handle your urges.
Just maybe I could try some of the working methods from you guys :)

I would also be interested in hearing your stories about what you did to make it harder to gamble.
Thanks
jamie93

Re: What are your ways to dealing with urges

Postby Springhope17 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi Jamie,

I found that understanding why I am gamble really helped me. Knowing what my triggers are means that I know when I will be getting most of my urges to gamble. To combat this I put a few practises in place to help me. I limited my access to money. I had a pattern of urges basically every time i got paid. Going back to the machines trying to recover last weeks losses! I know what time my pay goes into my account. I make sure that I am busy during this time. I then transfer online all my bills. This leaves only enough for things like food, fuel etc. I make sure that I have only limited access to cash in case another one of my triggers goes off and i get the urge to gamble. If i only have $100 I will think I wont even bother going for such a small amount. If I had $300 or more i would think Ill go and try my luck might be lucky! Instead my brain should be screaming Gambling has destroyed your life and you are in $100,000 debt! GAMBLING MORE WONT FIX THIS!
I also added the Gamblers Help phone no to my phone as a last resort, if i am tempted I will call and talk to a counsellor before i step foot in a venue.

Today I am 44 days GF. Good luck and I hope we can all beat this addiction!
Springhope17

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 pm

I think having interesting hobbies is a pretty good way to deal with urges.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Mona58 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:19 am

recalling the strongest urge I had last "payday" I just sat through it and did not give in to it. Knowing that it is part of the process and knowing that it WILL pass helped . RememberIng that the side effects of gambling - weeks --.is worse than the side effect of a urge --five minutes.
Mona58

Postby JinxyWolf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Hey Guys,

Great question....

If I know I have a big trigger coming, I will give my access card to my mum till it passes.
Haven't had a strong urge in a while now but when I first started this journey when a urge hit, I would try to take my mind of it by distracting myself with something else, maybe a movie, cooking or even cleaning.
I also got into the habit of, when a urge hit, I would stop what I was doing and take a breath, close my eyes, and think of what I was really gambling with, no it wasn't money, it was my life and that quells the urge pretty quickly. This has actually become a handy habit, even after nearly 10 months I find myself doing this automatically, even if it's just a passing thought of gambling.

Be Well all...and stay free

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby Catherine1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 pm

I have found by exercising Ie: Going for at least 1/2 or 1 hour walk daily this has not only got me fit, it has also helped with my mental wellbeing, therefore not being depressed and not feeling the urge to gamble. I have a close friend who knows I am giving up gambling. So if I get an urge I give her a call. By the time I have had a chat my urge has passed. I have bought plants for my garden in the past and think I can afford them because I am not blowing a $1000 a week on pokies. Also know your triggers. Mine is stress. When I get stressed with work, i so much want to have a gamble. I just now have to do other activities instead until the urge passes.
Catherine1

Return to Hot Topics