" "

relapse

What are some strategies when trying to quit or cut down? What works for you?

relapse

Postby sandra » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:10 am

I gambled a lot last year. I tried to stop but I had so many depts that i felt like i have to play so i can win and pay everyone back. When i had borrowed money from every possible person and banks and everything and i lost everything i finally stopped. I told myself this isnt working, and I just stopped and it felt so ******* good. I went back to school and my life started to feel normal again. I started saving money again. but i get this relapses and loose all that i saved in a couple of hours. this had happened 4 times since i "stopped". And I know relapse is a part of recovery, but i cant do that anymore. one little relapse coasts a fortune. It feels like i'm never going to get out of it because I can't stop playing when i start, and i always fall back! how am i going to get rid of this for good???? it feels so impossible!
sandra

Re: relapse

Postby Charlotte (facilitator) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi Sandra, welcome to the forum, and good on you for taking this step in seeking support. The forum can be a great resource in hearing how other people are managing to make change and what their challenges have been in the road to recovery. i hope that you find it a friendly and welcoming space.

I'm hearing that you've been able to successfully stop gambling, and that this has felt really good - that's terrific to hear. It's not unusual though, to find 'staying stopped' difficult, and relapse is indeed a part of the process. I'm wondering how other people have safe guarded against relapse; and if a replapse happens, how do people recover or get back on track?

Just to let you know, you can call Gambler's Helpline 24/7 from any state: 1800 858 858

All the best,
Charlotte
Charlotte (facilitator)

Postby Lizzie » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:03 am

Now there is a word that I can relate to. I would self exclude myself from a venue, only to find another venue and begin all over again. Self exclusion is good if it would self exclude you from all clubs pubs and venues that have gambling in it. Then you couldn't go to any one. This would be a fantastic system. Especially like me if you just go to another that is close and now that I have a car it makes it easier to find them.

So now I begin again..........................

What the future holds, well that will have to unfold and I will have to wait. Now there is another word I need to look at more carefully, Patience, it is something that I have not have a lot of. I am learning that the simple things in life are more important. The respect and love of my family for working towards a better life. The respect and love of people around me for fighting and resisting the urge to destroy what I would like to build.

So now I have to continue and hold me head up high and accept that I am human and we all make mistakes, mine is just another hurdle that I have to jump over or get around and work towards a better way of living.

Lizzie.
Lizzie

Postby AnnaB (facilitator) » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Indeed, hold you head up high and yes absolutely we all make mistakes. Sometimes it is from the mistakes that we learn the best lessons....which it wasn't that way sometimes!
AnnaB (facilitator)

Return to Strategies for Change