" "

dealing with gambling thoughts

What are some strategies when trying to quit or cut down? What works for you?

dealing with gambling thoughts

Postby Richie » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi all. I have just started the 100 day challenge after losing over $1000 on monday to the pokies. I need a lot of support and am starting some face to face counselling this week. I do find that one of the things that draws you back to the pokies is thoughts in your mind about the games. I find that immediately putting these thoughts out of your head when you get them helps a lot. So when you get a gambling thought, don't keep the thought going, try to stop the thought completely from going any further. It seems to be working for me.
Richie

RE: dealing with gambling thoughts

Postby helz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:12 pm

Richie (17/09/2014)Hi all. I have just started the 100 day challenge after losing over $1000 on monday to the pokies. I need a lot of support and am starting some face to face counselling this week. I do find that one of the things that draws you back to the pokies is thoughts in your mind about the games. I find that immediately putting these thoughts out of your head when you get them helps a lot. So when you get a gambling thought, don't keep the thought going, try to stop the thought completely from going any further. It seems to be working for me.

Great advice Richie and congrats on starting the 100 days. Yes, I find it really helpful not to allow that thought about gambling to "flower". (It's a cognitive behaviour technique I think too, can be used for any train of thought you want to change, especial unhelpful self talk) some people even do things like put a rubber band around their wrist and flick it each time they start to have a thought, and it kind of shocks you out of the train of thought!
Yes, not entertaining the idea is really good. I've heard other people say on here, once you start thinking about it, then start bargaining with yourself and justifying to yourself, that's the addiction talking.... I don't even entertain the idea of the pokies as an idea. As soon as it comes up I just dismiss it as an option. I'm on day 36 now, and at the start of the year I had 3 months gambling free partially because of this technique. It was when I started to entertain "just a bit of a tap" on the machines, that's when it grew large in my mind again and I started doing it again - there was plenty of justifying in my head at the time, till it eventually seemed - well not quite a good idea - but a harmless idea! I would just do it once and see how I go.... first step to disaster :-D
helz

RE: dealing with gambling thoughts

Postby Richie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Well done on going 36 days. Keep up the good work. I might try the rubber band trick and give it a go sounds like a good idea. Yes, it is true that stopping the gambling thoughts in their tracks is very effective.
Richie

Re: dealing with gambling thoughts

Postby tanvirbajwa1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Its nice to hear from you that people are caring in the modern world. Thanking you for info.
raza
tanvirbajwa1

Postby DJ19 [facilitator] » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi Tanvirbajwa1, it is comforting to hear people share their stories, it allows us to know we are not alone. The forums are a great place to soak up those stories.
DJ19 [facilitator]

Postby Dizzy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Hi everyone I have just been reading your posts - I am a seriously bad gambler and today was the last staw I put my whole pay into the pokies and I feel so bad I had to look up where to find some help
Dizzy

Postby pamela » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Dizzy you have come to the right place,There is plenty of help and support here
pamela

Return to Strategies for Change