" "

how to get distracted while at the pub with mates

What are some strategies when trying to quit or cut down? What works for you?

how to get distracted while at the pub with mates

Postby L » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:28 pm

Hi, this is my first post, and first time i have decided i need to do something about my pokie addiction... I am writing this after just loosing yet another $1000. That brings me up to $6000 this month!
I can't loose any more. time to make a change.

My regular weekend is going out with mates to a pub/club every friday and saturday night. This i cannot change as i love to go to these places.
I also live within a minute walk of a pub (which i have decided i am not going to go to anymore).

I realise i must seek further help, however -

Does anyone have any strategies to distract themselves when thinking about pokies, especially when at a venue which contains them?

Anyone had experiences using iphone apps/games to distract themselves? Do playing the free pokie iphone apps help the situation or make it worse?

Thank you.
L

RE: how to get distracted while at the pub with mates

Postby Noah (facilitator) » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi L,

Sometimes posts aren't immediately obvious with this forum format - looks like me and others might have missed this post!

Welcome to the forum and apologies for the dealy in the welcome

Other community members may have some ideas but did you know that you can ban yourself from the gaming areas but still have access to the bar or restaurant area? If this interests you... call 1800 858 858 to find out more or register for online counselling https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/login/

I've also attached some info on how to manage urges...https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/regaining-control/taking-action/tools-for-quitting/

Hope that's a start!

Let us know how you go!

Noah
Noah (facilitator)

RE: how to get distracted while at the pub with mates

Postby Keeton » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Sometimes when I go out for tea I find that if I take my Ipod with me I can use the free wifi that the club has. I did this instead of playing the pokies . I did have a go at free pokies on my ipod but I found that It meant that I was thinking about gambling more. Hope this helps.
Keeton

Return to Strategies for Change