" "

Desperate for help

What are some strategies when trying to quit or cut down? What works for you?

Desperate for help

Postby JohnGessert » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Hello I'm 23 my name is John and I've hit rock bottom again I just lost my partner to gambiling well a friend had to tell me cause he won't speak to me. So atm I'm experiencing alot of feeling from mental to physical and emotionally I don't know what to do I can't believe I went behind his back and broke his trust again I'm a terrible person and I hate everything about me atm the love of my life the one I wanted to marry has left me cause I choose pokies over love
JohnGessert

Re: Desperate for help

Postby pamela » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi John and welcome to rock bottom.
it sounds like you have hit the wall.I think you need to decide whether the pokues are worth losing your partner.You are not a bad person..you are someone who has made a bad choice.But you can change all of that if you really want to and Im quite sure you do.You just have to be determined and be strong enough to walk away from the pokies..they are soul destroying.
we will support and encourage you..good luck
pamela

Postby 1dayatatime » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi John

Remember this day.
Remember the pain but dont carry it with you.

Tomorrow is a fresh start. Im sure if you were that close to you partner, there is hope still.
Make a decision to stop and start your recovery....delaying it or even giving up will only lead to more pain.

Were all here to help and be helped.....

Goodluck
1dayatatime

Postby JohnGessert » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Thank you for the reply's its really hard to quit gambling its every where you go its a terrible thing hey.

You dont just risk your money you risk your family,friends,partners,jobs etc its designed to ruin people lifes to make them money that's all it is
but when your gambling these thoughts dont run through your mind it disappears and its just you and that machine.

I really hope for my sake and my ex things can change for the better its a sickening thought and a bad bad bad addiction but addiction i learnt is all around us its just up to you if you want to avoid it or walk straight into it.

gotta take that leap and say NO!!!!!
easyily said then done err
JohnGessert

Postby pamela » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi John.if you really want to stop, then you will.Any addiction can be beaten but you have to put a lot of effort into it.When you stop and think of all you stand to lose.stopping is paramount.You can change the way you think and there are still places you can go to eat and drink and be entertained that dont have poker machines or TAB.Be determined to stop and it will be so much easier..good luck
pamela

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi John,

The good thing about rock bottom is that the only way to go from there is up. You can change your future now, head towards love instead of away. Hopefully if you get your gambling under control you will be able to have a full filling relationship again (Maybe your partner will forgive you in time).

But changing gambling habits is hard. Most people need a little support before they can get control. This forum is a great start, as is seeing a gambling counselor (you can organize one by calling Gamblers helpline 1800 858 885).

stay strong.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Ted70 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:01 am

Hi John i have been on both ends of your situation. Read my post in my tools diary recovery.
It is heart breaking when gambling is chosen over the person you love especially with the lies it just chipps away at your insides and its not fun living always doubting someone.
I have chosen pokies over love, told lies and hurt the person i thought i would grow old with now im alone and its harder to help myself because i dont care.
I need a friend and ive turned to this site for support from understanding kind supportive people that know the pain we feel.
Ted70

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi JohnGessert,

A delayed welcome to the forum! I am sorry to hear about the consequences of gambling, I hope that things are looking up. I encourage you to have a look at other discussions and if you are comfortable, please share your experience of gambling with us. This is a safe and supportive space with so many supportive people who have been through similar situations.
What do you think you need to help you change?
Have you seen any change since you last posted? What help do you think you need? There are a number of options, such as self-exclusions, counselling, support gorups etc so let us know and we can help

I am happy to provide some advice via inbox if that is more helpful as well.

Hope you are going well,

Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Postby In trouble » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:17 pm

I have finally realised I have hit the bottom gambling has put me indebt now I'm gambling the repayments for the debt. I need help before I lose everything
In trouble

Postby debsta70 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Hey In trouble, did you see my message to you to start your own post so you can get the help you need....
Inbox me if you want to talk now
deb
debsta70

Return to Strategies for Change