" "

Gambling Makes Us Blind

What are some strategies when trying to quit or cut down? What works for you?

Gambling Makes Us Blind

Postby Andrew88 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi All

My name is Andrew and as of yesterday I have recently signed up for the 100 day challenge.
I am currently 29 and have been gambling ever since I was 18.

As I hopped onto this site this morning I thought it would be a good idea to have a read of other peoples stories on this forum.
Much to my surprise I suddenly felt sick for myself. It was like someone just slapped me across the face and said wake up you loser.
My reasons for feeling sick are simple. We are all pulled in with colours and sounds, all these things do is send us the wrong message.
We receive messages that make us hand over our money, voices in our heads turn us into zombies. Money is life, it dictates us.

I currently have a severe gambling problem, this advice may be helpful or it may not.
We all start out innocent, yes innocent until that first win. All these emotions are inflicted upon us and we receive false hope that maybe we just might be different from the rest, we might just be winners. Soon enough we find out that we are just like every other gambler, a loser.
Just after that first win we are handed a shovel and made to dig, over time we must keep digging until we are then strong enough to pull ourselves out of the hole.
Pulling ourselves out is the main part, that is when we wake up and see our problem. But it is only the beginning, admitting that you have a problem is where it all starts. For me personally it is never really about chasing my debt, all I want money for is to bet with. I get paid on a Thursday so I bet on a Thursday. If I lose my paycheque that day well then it's time for me to start looking for small cash loans or borrowing money off mates so that I am set for a Saturday. I have always thought that if I have money then I am happy, if I don't have money then I am angry. But it's quite the opposite, it's if I'm betting then I'm happy, and unhappy if I'm not betting. Money is just the tool we use to try and reach those highs, most probably why I have no respect for money. I mainly bet on horses and dogs online. To me betting online is the worst thing that you can do. The main reason for this is simply because your money is like play money, it's not cash in your hand. As mentioned before, it's all about the bright lights and the crazy sounds. In racing those bright lights are the jockeys colours, the race caller screaming your horse as it gets up on the line. Much like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, we can see the rainbow but we will never find that pot of gold. All we do is create that energy to make the rainbow. We are the players in this game, we make the game what it is. I don't want to play in this game anymore and that is why I am standing up. Gambling is not going to take over my life and I will no longer be blinded and pulled into this game!!

These are my feelings and I will use them to help me beat my problem and hopefully help you beat yours!!
Andrew88

Re: Gambling Makes Us Blind

Postby Noah (facilitator) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Andrew,
I'm Noah one of the facilitators here. Welcome!
I hope that you will find this a useful and supportive space to be in while trying to reach your goals. Thank you so much for sharing this..so insightful and I'm sure an experience that many can relate to. Keep us posted as to how you are going on the 100 day challenge!
All the best with it!!
Noah
Noah (facilitator)

Re: Gambling Makes Us Blind

Postby pamela » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi Andrew and welcome..your story is one of many but the goal is the same..to stop gambling..with enough determination you will be able to beat this habit and I really hope you do..good luck
pamela

Return to Strategies for Change