" "

Going Cold Turkey or betting small?

What are some strategies when trying to quit or cut down? What works for you?

Going Cold Turkey or betting small?

Postby Seeingthelight » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi everyone I'm here for the 1st time after struggling to overcome gambling on the Pokies ? I don't go everyday mainly payday. I see a lot of people win around me and cannot come to grips with the fact that I lose fairly consistently. It feels like I am just donating to my local clubs at times. I often will pay my bills before I go and groceries so at least that's sorted. I love the club atmosphere and the patrons are generally a nice people and are always up for a chat.
I cannot sustain this lifestyle but want to still go. I always start with 10 cent per spin bet but nothing happens. I lose patience and add more and so it begins until in no time I am back at the atm dwindling my funds yet again. Do you think it's best to abstain all together or learn to control your urges and bet small ?
Seeingthelight

Re: Going Cold Turkey or betting small?

Postby DFP » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:16 am

Personally, total abstention is the way to go. I have failed time and time again to control. I may be able to do it for a few visits but sooner or later it ended up being like you describe (several trips to ATM until all funds gone.

Look at the forum for advice on how to quit. Key is to limit access to funds, be accountable to someone and rediscover your interests is something more meaningful than pokies.

All the best - why don't you start the 100 day challenge?

DFP
DFP

Postby Oregon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:15 am

Definitely have to stop completely. If you could control small bets then you wouldn't have a problem.
You'll end up making bigger bets to chase small losses and that's where it gets to be a problem again.
Oregon

Postby Needhelp589 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm

For me ( this is more for horses but still gambling ) Its easyier if I don't bet because sometimes I say il bet 10 dollars, just 10. It loses, I think ah another 10 won't hurt, then it's 50...100... and so on because I start chasing and trying to win it back and next minute your account is empty.
Needhelp589

Return to Strategies for Change